Key features: Funding to meet challenges in the areas of energy, data and transportation.
Award: Up to £5m
Opens: 01 Jul 2013, 00:00
Registration closes: 07 Aug 2013, 12:00
Closes: 14 Aug 2013, 12:00
Support phone number: 0300 321 4357
Future Cities Solutions
Update for applicants!
Challenge 1: Develop a data platform for power and heat usage with sufficient granularity to identify community trends and individual usage patterns in both domestic and commercial buildings.
- provide granularity of data, down to a building-level analysis
- aggregate granular data in meaningful zones within a city for macro-analysis
- review energy consumption patterns, and be able to predict energy consumption and demand in the future.
Challenge 3: Develop a scalable, on-demand mobility solution to help employees or visitors reach businesses within a city.
- overcoming diseconomies in getting people to work
- developing flexible modes of transport to enable more flexible ways of working
- making transport an enabler of other smart initiatives
- improving the transport of goods and services (eg improving mail order delivery services, making better use of fleet vehicles, ensuring on-time delivery of goods)
- managing the interdependency of various modes of transport.
- tackle the specific challenges identified in the competition, with innovative solutions
- have the potential to make significant improvements to a city's economy, quality of life and environmental impact
- have the potential for further development and use beyond the initial two years of funding.
- do not provide solutions in one of the shared challenge areas
- use the funding to bridge resource gaps in existing projects, though we welcome new applications or modifications of existing technology
- are led by a city authority or equivalent.
SBRI and funding allocation
- Competition launch: 1 July 2013
- Briefing session: 3 July 2013
- Deadline for registration: 7 August 2013, at noon
- Deadline for phase one applications: 14 August 2013, at noon
- Applicants notified of decision: 18 September 2013
- Feedback provided by: 25 September 2013
- Contracts awarded by: 18 October 2013
- Phase one projects commence: 1 November 2013
- Phase one projects completed: 31 March 2014
- Phase two opens: 2 May 2014
- Deadline for phase two applications: 7 June 2014, at noon
- Phase two applicants notified of decision: 14 July 2014
Phase two contracts awarded by: 13 August 2014
- Competition Helpline: 0300 321 4357
- Email: email@example.com